Work, School & Life Balance
“Balance in your life between work and your personal life is very important…Without balance, you eventually burnout negatively affecting your performance at work” — Bryron & Catherine Pulsifer
This tutorial will help provide tools to help achieve and enjoy work, life, and school by establishing new habits and avoiding burnout. Because balancing work with the rest of life can be very difficult with today’s fast paced world. Maintaining work-life balance is often a juggling act.
Manage your time effectively — Set some priorities and — most importantly — cut out all procrastination and other wasted time.
Share the load — If you work is creeping into the rest of your life, that’s a good sign that you have more on your plate than you can handle. It maybe time to find someone at work who can help you handle the load.
Slow Down — When things get hectic and your stress level starts to rise, simply put down whatever you’re working on. Take a breather and allow yourself to forget about work. During crunch time, don’t be afraid to take a break from studying or work. Take the dog for a walk or do something else physical and enjoyable. When you get back to what you were doing, you will feel refreshed and invigorated.
Figure out what really matters — Take time to reflect on what’s important to you. Are you neglecting anyone? If so, it may be time to make some changes to your lifestyle. You need to remember that your happiness is worth a lot more than anything money can buy.
Overdrive Syndrome, Self Examniation & Reward
Stop the Overdrive Syndrome
- Make a conscience decision to stop rushing
- Allow time for getting ready for unseen delays
- Learn to let go
- Avoid eating meals in the car, at your desk, or in front of the TV
- Stop and breath throughout the day
Work/Life & School involves Self Examination and Reward
- Stop regretting failures and start learning from mistakes
- Examine your old habits — search for new ways to change or eliminate them
- Try rewarding yourself when you get things done as you planned
- Concentrate on one thing at a time
- Catch yourself when you are involved in unproductive projects
Defeat Job Burnout
- Benefit — Make your life enjoyable
- You must change how you think — Positive attitude
- Laughter breaks tension (laugh during the day)
- Be social — talk to people — feeling connected to others is a great way to reduce stress and burnout
- Fun stuff — puzzles, word search
Work-Life Balance Tips
- Drop unnecessary activities — make a list
- Protect your private time — you wouldn’t skip work, parent teacher conference or a doctor appointment — you deserve the same respect
- Accept help — allow yourself to rely on partner/friend/family
- Plan fun and relaxation — hobbies, exercise
- Don’t overbook — things rarely go according to a prearranged agenda
- Prioritize — learn to ask questions to help determine urgency
- Learn how to say “no” — you don’t have to agree to everything
- Organize — Time management is not just about scheduling; the mechanics of how you is just as important
- Know life will not always be perfect — don’t stress about making every second of your time perfect. Be grateful for what goes right and learn from your mistakes
We hope that this tutorial can help give you some ideas when trying to balance all that life throws at you. Implementing at least one of these items can help you move forward to making things run more smoothly.