III:00:01 Appeal of Financial Aid Suspension


Students who have been placed on financial aid suspension may appeal the termination of their financial aid assistance if they are able to prove extenuating circumstances.


The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by Congress in 1980, mandates that institutions of higher education must establish standards of "satisfactory progress" for students receiving financial aid. Volunteer State makes these standards applicable to all Title IV institutionally awarded funds (Federal Pell Grant, TSAA, Access and Diversity Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, and Federal Plus Loan) for the purpose of maintaining a consistent policy for all students receiving financial assistance. The definition of the "Satisfactory Academic Progress" is printed in the COLLEGE CATALOG under Academic Status and Retention Standards.

Students who have been placed on financial aid suspension and have extenuating circumstances that are verifiable may appeal for a "financial aid override". The student may appeal first to the Director of Student Financial Aid and then to the Vice President for Student Services and finally to the Scholarship and Awards Committee. The appeal must be submitted in writing with all the proper and appropriate documentation to support the extenuating circumstance(s) that may have caused the financial aid suspension.

VSCC Source: Former III:00:06, February 24, 1999, President; November 27, 2007, President