IV: 01:02 Athletic and Other Group Travel
Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to address practical considerations for travel related specifically to the performance of intercollegiate athletic recruiting, athletic team travel, and other group travel in recognition of the unique characteristics associated with travel by athletic personnel and teams and other groups. The policy shall apply only to these functions; travel for other purposes by athletic personnel and other groups shall be subject to the Tennessee Board of Regents General Travel Polices and Procedures (No. 4:03:03:00) and Volunteer State Community College’s General Travel Policy (No. IV:01:01). In addition, the college shall comply with all pertinent regulations of the National Junior Collegiate Athletic Association and the athletic conference of which the college is a member.
I. Athletic Recruiting
A. Travel Advances
Travel advances should be made consistent with the Volunteer State Community College General Travel Policies. In addition, temporary or permanent travel advances may be made to staff members engaged in recruiting when such advances are approved by the President or Vice President for Business and Finance.
B. Approval for Travel
The following are subject to prior approval by the President or Vice President for Business and Finance:
1. Blanket travel authorization for scouting or recruiting; and
2. The travel of visitors and guests at collegial expense for any occasion related to recruiting.
C. Guest Meals
The actual cost of guest meals with a maximum tip of 20% may be claimed when incurred by a staff member in travel status for recruiting purposes. Such claims must be submitted in appropriate detail. Receipts are required.
D. Student Recruits
1. Staff members are responsible for compliance with pertinent NJCAA and conference rules regarding student recruits.
2. Arrangements may be made for lodging in local motels/hotels, and with the approval of the athletic director and Vice President of Student Services, may be charged to the athletic department.
3. If available, the use of campus dining services should be arranged and costs may be charged to the athletic department. If necessary, staff members will be reimbursed at cost for off-campus meals, with reasonable and customary gratuities allowed. Receipts must accompany claims.
4. Transportation may be arranged through a local travel service and charged to the athletic department with the approval of the athletic director and the Vice President of Student Services. Automobile mileage may be reimbursed to a student recruit at the maximum rate allowed under Volunteer State's general travel policy for the use of a personal vehicle.
5. Entertainment expenses may be reimbursed at cost within NJCAA and conference rules.
A. College officials and guests of the college that accompany the team or student groups on trips must be approved in advance by the President or Vice President for Business and Finance.
B. In all cases, team and group transportation will be arranged through established college procedures, and travel itineraries are to be arranged in advance. Documentation must be maintained in the athletic or other appropriate departments or offices indicating that various cost alternatives have been explored before making all arrangements and reservations. However, if such arrangements are made by the college's purchasing office, that office should maintain the appropriate documentation.
C. A roster of all individuals on a particular trip must be included with the itinerary documentation for proper accounting and auditing purposes and filed with the travel claim.
D. A travel advance in the amount of 100% of the estimated trip expenses may be allowed. One person from the athletic department or other appropriate department or office who is familiar with the travel regulations will be responsible for the advance and all bills connected with team or group travel.
E. Receipts are required for all team or group travel expenses consistent with VSCC Policy No. IV:01:01.
F. Actual lodging expenses will be reimbursed. Documentation must be maintained in the athletic department or other appropriate department or office indicating that carious cost alternatives have been explored before making all arrangements and reservations. However, if such arrangements are made by VSCC's purchasing office, that office should maintain the appropriate documentation.
G. Miscellaneous expenses, such as movies while on trips, must be supported by receipts. Telephone calls by staff members for business purposes may be claimed with documentation consistent with VSCC Policy No. IV:01:01.
H. Individual meals associated with team or group travel will follow VSCC's General Travel Policy.
I. All team or group meals and snacks will be reimbursed at actual cost. Gratuities not to exceed reasonable and customary rates are allowed. Appropriate documentation and receipts are required.
J. All travel claims and requisitions for team or group travel must be approved in writing by the appropriate approving authority.
III. Other Group Travel
Travel by student groups or other groups of participants in programs or activities of the college may be reimbursed under the same provisions as included in Section II above.
IV. The following specific procedures must be followed disbursing and accounting for funds:
1. A roster of the group members, players or cheerleaders must accompany the check request before the check will be provided.
2. Check requests may be submitted to the Business Office in advance of the expected travel. In every case, the request should be properly signed and in the Business Office one week prior to the expected travel.
3. Travel checks, funds returned or vehicle keys should only be transported to or from the Business Office by employees receiving compensation from the College.
4. As the funds are distributed to the prospective groups, teams or cheerleaders, each person must sign the recap for receipt of the meal money.
5. The dollar amount on the recap sheet must be added to assure the totals are correct and all required signatures are included.
6. The recap of meal disbursements to group members, players or cheerleaders must be completed and submitted to the Business Office along with the sign out recap.
7. After each travel, these recaps must be submitted to the Business Office prior to receiving the next travel check. If two or more checks are needed for weekend games, then two or more recaps must be submitted to the Business Office prior to receiving the next travel check.
8. The Business Office will verify that the dollar amounts and necessary signatures are correct on the recap form. If the totals do not agree or not all the proper signatures are included on the sign out sheet, then reimbursement of the difference will be expected.
The Chancellor or his or her designee may approve exceptions to the requirements of this policy in appropriate cases.
TBR Sources: TBR Meeting March 23, 1984; TBR Meeting June 29, 1990; June 29, 2007.
VSCC Source: February 14, 1989, October 28, 1998, March 22, 1999, President; December 2, 2008, President