What is philosophy?
Philosophy is the study of what the best minds have thought about the questions that are most important. Questions about what we know and how we know it, about what is real, true, and good, and about how to live well. To study philosophy is to enter into a dialogue about the nature of our existence, our place in the world and the universe, and what the possibilities and limits are of our ability to know these things. Primarily, philosophy is concerned with questions, the answers to which are not readily available from science, religion, or appeals to common sense.
- Does God exist?
- Why do innocent people suffer?
- Does Truth exist, or is everything just a matter of opinion?
- What is the best form of government?
- Is there a soul? An afterlife?
- Is there on standard of right and wrong for everyone, or are morals relative?
- What is a good life, and how do I go about living one?