The Most important points
- Libraries use call numbers to organize books on the shelves.
- Two main call number systems are Library of Congress Classification and Dewey Decimal.
- Call numbers are read left to right, line by line, following the alphanumeric (alphabetical and numerical) rules.
- In both LC and Dewey, the first line represents the subject of the book.
- Once you find one book on your topic, you can browse near that book to find others books on the same or similar topic.
- The best tool for locating call numbers is the library's book catalog.