EMT Extended Skills Information
The State of Tennessee's EMT Extended Skills Curriculum prepares EMT-Basics to perform advanced skills including:
- Intravenous Fluid Initiation
- Intravenous Administration of D50W
- Emergency Pharmacology and Medication Administration
- Multi-lumen Airway Devices
This course consists of 40 hours of didactic instruction with an additional 10 hours of clinical experience.
Please visit our Course Schedule Link to see the current listing of courses we offer.
Class meets from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm for a total of 40 hours didactic. A 10-hour hospital clinical rotation must be completed immediately after the 40-hours of didactic instruction. The rotation is 9:00 am – 7:00 pm in a Nashville area hospital Emergency Department. Consideration will be given for individual’s request for specific clinical days, but cannot be guaranteed.
Testing for licensure by the State EMS Division is usually scheduled within one month after course completion.
Additional Requirements and Fees
- Submit a medical statement signed by your physician — cost varies depending on current physical examination needs.
- Submit a background check. A list of vendors be will provided. This background check is for the clinical rotation and is different from the background check for State licensure. Cost – approximately $75 depending on the vendor.
- Obtain clinical liability insurance coverage. A list of vendors will be provided. Cost — approximately $30 – $150 depending on vendor and current licensure status — EMT, Paramedic.
- Submit a copy of your current CPR card and current EMT license.
- Submit 50% deposit of payment no later than 2 weeks prior to class to confirm reserved seating for the registration submitted. Balance of course fees are due no later that Day 1 of the course.
State Licensure and Reciprocity
For questions regarding upgrading your license to IV status or reciprocity transferring from another state, please visit the State EMS web site. For your convenience, follow this link to go directly to the reciprocity packet.