College Steering Committee
Committee PurposeThe College Steering Committee will act as a repository for the plans and proposals of other committees. Its primary function is to keep track of committee proposals and clearly communicate their status to appropriate constituents on campus. The Committee will also be responsible for the creation of committees for each academic year.
- Makes recommendations concerning membership for standing committees.
- Oversees recommendations and plans from standing committees.
- Communicates status of plans and initiatives from standing committees to appropriate constituents.
- Hears appeals regarding committee placement or other issues and renders judgment.
- Confirms posting of standing committee minutes.
- Affirms standing committee activities and addresses membership attendance issues.
- Reviews and recommends specific improvements regarding the standing committee structure, committees’ purposes and activities, and committees’ membership.
- Appoints chairs and recorders of college committees, if chairs and recorders are not selected by the committees themselves.
- Conducts standing committee chair and recorder orientations.
Reporting Relationship: President of the College
- Faculty Council Speaker
- Staff Council Speaker
- Two (2) Deans
- Three (3) Faculty representatives (from Divisions not represented by Deans)
- Five (5) Staff representatives, one from each division including:
- One (1) Vice-President
- One (1) Assistant Vice-Presiden
- One (1) Director
- Two (2) Classified Staff
Total Membership: 12
Suggested Timeline for Committee Selections
December 1 — College Steering Committee identifies committee vacancies.
February 1 — Requests for membership communicated to faculty and staff.
February 15 — Responses due from faculty and staff.
March 1 — Committee selections completed by Steering Committee.
March 15 — Approval of committee members by President’s Cabinet.
March 30 — Faculty and staff notified of committee assignments for the coming academic year.
April — Incoming Chairs elected at final committee meetings.
June 1 — Approval of incoming committee Chairs by President’s Cabinet and notification of incoming Chairs.