The purpose of the Instruction Committee is to provide support for continued improvement in teaching and learning. This includes but is not limited to:
- ensuring achievement of general education outcomes and academic excellence in the general education program.
- reviewing and recommending guidelines, policies and procedures regarding the College's Distance Learning initiatives.
- evaluating the availability of Library resources on and off campus and providing recommendations regarding the library's holdings, equipment, facilities, policies, and practices.
- promoting the Honors Program so it attracts academically proficient students and faculty to participate.
- monitoring academic integrity and quality in all programs to further ensure student success.
- Support faculty excellence.
- Research and recommend improved teaching or learning methodologies.
- Encourage dialogue about issues that affect faculty and students in the classroom and other learning environments.
- Make recommendations concerning academic policies and procedures.
- Work with the Professional Development Committee to provide professional development opportunities for faculty to share ideas and enhance instruction.
- Review results of assessments to plan, recommend and initiate mechanisms to improve assessment results.
- Make recommendations on the content and use of faculty evaluations.
- Monitor and make recommendations on student evaluations.
- Promote the Honors Program throughout the VSCC service area.
- Analyze data and make recommendations on program initiatives to determine student success.
Reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs
- At least one (1) faculty representative from each academic division, but no more than two (2) representatives from any one division. Both tenured and non-tenured faculty may be represented.
- Two adjunct faculty
- Chair of Curriculum Committee
- Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Director of Distance Learning
- One (1) representative of Student Services Admissions or Advising
- Director of Learning Support
- One (1) representative from Testing
- One (1) Academic Dean
- One (1) Honors Faculty
- Director of the Library
- One (1) ROCE
- One (1) Department Chair
- Student representation: 2
- Total membership: 20 - 25
Ex-Officio: Vice President of Academic Affairs, Chair of Professional Development Committee, Executive Assistant to the President; Director of Career Placement; Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness, Coordinator of Honors, Coordinator of Supplemental Instruction, Assistant Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment Management