Allied Health –
How long will it take?
Volunteer State Community College offers 12 programs, including several that lead to an Associate of Applied Science degree. Some take one year or less; others take two years, including summers.
Less than 12 months
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic (1 semester)
- Coding and Reimbursement
- Dental Assistant* (Working with dentists but not as hygienists)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound and imaging technology)
- Fire Science Technology*
Between one and two years
- Paramedic (18 months including EMT Basic)
- Sleep Diagnostics Technology * (13 months)
Two-year Associate of Applied Science degrees*
*Courses taken to complete certificates for Dental Assistant, Fire Science Technology, and Sleep Diagnostics Technology can be applied to earn a two-year Associate of Applied Science-Allied Health Option degree.
- Health Information Technology(Medical Records)
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Ophthalmic Technology (Working with eye doctors)
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Radiologic Technology (X-rays for diagnosis and treatment)
- Respiratory Care Technology