Text Alert User Signup
Subscriber Questions (students, faculty, staff, etc.)
- What is Vol State Text Alert?
- Text Alert is a mass notification system comprised of e-mail, and text messaging that is designed to send emergency messages to thousands of individuals in minutes. It supplements existing means of emergency communication, including outdoor warning sirens and severe weather alert radios.
While participation in the text and email messaging notification is optional, enrollment is strongly encouraged. The information you supply is considered confidential and will not be shared or used for other purposes. You will only be contacted through the system in the event of an emergency.
Vol State students, faculty and staff have the opportunity to provide a primary mobile phone number for receipt of text messages, and email addresses for receipt of email messages. Emergency messages will be sent via a system provided by the High Ground Solutions/SchoolCast. Text Alert will be used in tandem with other campus communication tools.
- How does Vol State Text Alert work?
- Text Alert is a hosted and managed system. You will not need special hardware or software to receive messages. It is a multi-modal service that can disseminate emergency messages through:
SMS text messages: Faculty, staff and students may choose to register a cell phone number for receiving SMS text messages through Text Alert
E-mail: An alert message will be sent to your registered e-mail address. You can also specify a secondary e-mail address for receiving these alerts
- What kind of alerts will be sent?
- The system will be used primarily to distribute information regarding emergencies that dictate immediate action. Examples of alerts include severe weather, building evacuations, dangers requiring lock-down or shelter-in-place, or other emergencies requiring immediate action. The Text Alert notification system will also be tested on a routine basis to ensure that we are able to reach all Text Alert participants in the event of an emergency. Students who sign up for “Campus Tips and Information” will also receive timely information about Vol State.
- How do I pick my campus?
- students will want to pick only one campus, however some may wish to receive alerts for several campuses. It’s up to you…simply click on the campus that you want to receive emergency and weather information about.
- What is the "Campus Tips and Information" box?
- We realize that students may want to get tips and information texted to them. These tips will include important dates coming up (when to pay your fees, drop/add dates etc.). There will only be a few of these texts going out each week. If you want to receive those texts, click the box. If you would rather not receive these informational texts don’t click the box.
- Why should I sign up for the Text Alert text messages and email components?
- Because students, faculty and staff are constantly on the move, this system provides the flexibility for you to receive emergency messages on multiple devices. Text Alert will be used to distribute important information regarding emergencies that dictate immediate action. It will be used along with other tools including severe weather alert radios, e-mail, the College web site, social media sites, local media and other methods.
- Can I opt out of the system after I sign up and can I update my contact information after I have registered?
- You can opt not to receive text or e-mail alerts by logging into Text Alert at any time to update or delete your contact information. Whenever your cell phone number or e-mail addresses change, it is very important that you update this information within Text Alert to ensure you continue to receive alerts through the system.
- How soon will I have the capability to receive text or email emergency messages after I sign up?
- You will be able to receive emergency messages immediately upon completion of Text Alert registration.
- Are there any costs involved if I sign up for the system?
- MIf you do not have a text messaging contract as part of your cellular service, there may be a small charge for any text messages that you receive. You should check with your cell phone carrier to determine what these costs may be. There is no fee assessed student, faculty and staff for gaining access to the system.
- How can I recognize messages from Text Alert?
- E-mail: sent from Text Alert will come from firstname.lastname@example.org
SMS text messages: Text messages will begin with "Vol State" and the # (32075).
- Will my contact information remain secure, and will it be used for any other purposes?
- The information collected for Text Alert is securely maintained and will not be shared. It is only used for notification of emergencies.
- Where can I find additional information about emergency situations?
- During an emergency, details and updated information regarding the specific emergency will be provided on the Vol State home page at www.volstate.edu