Financial Aid Refund
VOL STATE NOW OFFERS THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS FOR FINANCIAL AID REFUNDS:
- Discover© Debit Card – Accepted by any retailer or location that accepts Discover©. This is the fastest, most convenient way to receive your refund. Refunds will be distributed to the cards the same day that it is processed by the Business Office. The prepaid debit card has no monthly fees or transaction fees. Please visit www.acceluraid.com/volstate for additional information.
- Direct Deposit – Have the refund deposited directly into your checking or savings account. Vol State will send the refund file to the bank the same day that it is processed by the Business Office, but it could take 2-3 business days to reflect in your account. For information on how to set this up, click HERE.
- Check – Students that wish to opt out but do not enter direct deposit information will receive a paper check 5-7 days after the refund is processed by the Business Office.
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE YOUR METHOD???
All students who have applied for financial aid will be required to make their selection through the MyVolState portal. Follow these steps:
- Log into My VolState.
- Click the ‘Academics’ Tab
- Choose ‘Student’ (under the Banner Self-Service Menu), and then "Student Account."
- Click the link that says “DEBIT CARD Refunding (OPT-IN/OPT-OUT)”
- Select the upcoming term
- Click Submit to make the election of whether to have the refund issued to the debit card. Please read each option thoroughly and make your selection!!!
- You will be required to update your selection once per academic year. If you have made an election for fall, no action is needed for spring or summer. If you begin classes in the middle of the academic year, you will need to make your selection when you enroll, then again the following fall for the next academic year.
WHAT IF I ALREADY HAVE THE DISCOVER DEBIT CARD FROM A PREVIOUS SEMESTER?
If you have previously had a refund issued to the debit card and you would like to continue to receive your refund on your card, you MUST log onto the portal and authorize VSCC to send it to the card, once per academic year. The steps for authorizing VSCC to send future financial aid refunds to the card are listed above. If you are a returning student in the fall, you must go online and make your selection again.
HOW DOES THE DEBIT CARD WORK?
If you choose this option, the “Volunteer State Campus Card” will be mailed to you. You should receive your card within a couple of weeks following your registration. For security purposes, it will be sent to you in a very plain envelope, with a small Volunteer State logo. The card is issued by Central National Bank. We ask that you watch for this to come in the mail, and that you be careful to not throw it away. This card will be your financial aid refund card for the duration of your studies at Volunteer State. This applies only to students who have completed a FAFSA.
Included with your card will be instructions as to how to activate and use your card. The card will be administered by the Acceluraid Company. All questions regarding your card can be answered through the Acceluraid website —www.acceluraid.com/volstate. Your card must first be activated at www.acceluraid.com/volstate. Please note when activating your card, you will be required to enter either your Social Security number, Driver’s License number or state identification card number. (Students not having any of the options will be directed to enter their passport information. The information entered is verified through LexisNexis as part of the Customer Identification Program (CIP). If the information entered is invalid, the card will not be activated and the cardholder will not be able to use the card. If this happens, please contact Heartland Customer Service at 866-678-7534. Once we have released your refund, you will have immediate, same-day access to your money through your Volunteer State Campus Card. An ATM is available for use in the Wood Campus Center, next to the bookstore. Students are able to make immediate withdrawals once the refund has been issued.
Your card will not have funds on it when you receive it! If you are eligible for financial aid and have completed all requirements by the priority date, your financial aid refund will be disbursed beginning the first week of class, once all attendance requirements have been met. You can review your student account in the MyVolState portal to view when your funds are posted.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO NOT MAKE A SELECTION?
If you choose NOT to authorize the Heartland Debit Card, you are strongly encouraged to set up direct deposit. If you opt-out of the Discover© debit card and do not set up direct deposit, your refund will be issued as a check and could take up to 7 days to be received. If no election is made, the refund will be issued via direct deposit if it is set up, and check if it is not. This is a change from the past semesters. Once a selection is made, (other than Undecided), you can only change your selection by calling the Business Office at (615) 230-3585.PLEASE CALL THE BUSINESS OFFICE @ (615) 230-3585 IF YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR FINANCIAL AID REFUND CHOICES. YOU MAY ALSO EMAIL BUSINESSOFFICE@VOLSTATE.EDU.