Transfer Credit

VSCC policies that affect transfer credit

All collegiate-level coursework for each transfer student, who is degree-seeking or seeking a technical certificate, will be evaluated according to the following criteria:

  1. course similarity within the programs enrolled in at Volunteer State;
  2. course content equivalent to course taught at the same level at Volunteer State;
  3. same credentialing requirements for faculty at the same transferring institution.

In some cased Volunteer State may request additional information before awarding credit on a course-by-course basis. (VSCC Policy No: II:09:34)

Students who have attended other institutions or higher education, and will pursue a degree at Volunteer State, must provide official transcripts of all credits attempted. Transcripts are evaluated prior to, or during the initial term of enrollment. Students are notified via mail of credits awarded as evaluations are completed. (VSCC Policy No: II:09:34)

Transfer grade point requirements

Grades are not transferable or recorded on the VSCC permanent record. You must, however, earn at least a "C" or equivalent for a course to be considered for transfer.

Courses taken to fulfill VSCC's competency requirements, English Composition I and II, or College Algebra must be completed with a minimum grade of 2.00 or "C" to satisfy the competency.

If you are repeating a course already completed at VSCC, you must receive a higher grade in the repeated class to have it considered for transfer credit.

Articulation Agreements & Guides

To encourage transfers within Tennessee, VSCC has developed many degree-specific transfer articulation agreements and guides with regionally accredited colleges and universities to assist in development of education plans for transfer students. Those can be viewed by following the links at the bottom of this page.

Transfer credit equivalency changes

The transfer credit information provided on these pages reflects the current evaluation of coursework from each school. Changes do occur at both VSCC and the other colleges. Please check the tables each term to see if any changes have be made concerning courses within your program. You are encouraged to contact a counselor in the Admissions office in preparation for the transfer process.

Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables